Calling all local Buskers!
Be KURILPA POETS’
“Mystery Musician of the Month!”
Calling all West End, indeed, calling all Brisbane Buskers; How’d you like to have a gig out of the rain?
For it is the tradition of the Kurilpa Poets to have a Mystery Musician perform at our monthly events at the Olde Croquet Club Hall in Musgrave Park. We like to leaven our Words with Music, and indeed Performance and Visual Art are also tossed into the mix when in they’re in season.
And in order to foster community culture, it is our Policy to select each month one of our fine local buskers off the streets of West End to be the Kurilpa Poet’s Mystery Musician. (Favoured scouting locations include the Big Lizard and the corner of Boundary & Vulture outside the chemist.) We’ve had some great musicians enliven our sessions, with perhaps the blues/roots duo, “The Swampfish” evoking special memories with their down-home tunes.
But now we’re casting the net wider and inviting all local Buskers and Musicians in general to apply for this esteemed gig. Just get in touch with us here at the Water-Rat Gazette
or send us an email to;
We’ll arrange for you to send us a demo or you can tell us when and where you’re busking.
Details of the Mystery Musician Gig are as follows;
* We want 2 X 15 minute sets of interlude/intermission music, can be either with vocals or instrumental only, solo artist or small group, all styles considered.
* there’s a basic fee of $25 and you can pass the hat.
* you can eat and drink all you want
* Your Performance will be advertised and documented for our Archives and possibly put on our web site (with your permission of course)and reviewed, thus promoting your profile.
*You will have a small, but appreciative audience.
*There is a basic PA system, stand and microphone.
*If it rains there’s a roof.
* the Kurilpa Poet Events are on the last Sunday of each month, starting at 2pm.
SO WHY DELAY? APPLY TODAY!
MULTI-MEDIA POETS NEEDED
As well as your basic busker, we’re also interested in poets/artists who’d like to do multi-media presentations. We have a lap-top, projector and screen available for those working in such things.
The Kurilpa Poets presented an excellent example of whats possible with the new media recently when the Visual Poems of Stefanie Petrik (aka the Reverse Butcher) appeared at our Wild Women of Poetry Gig, even though their author was faraway in Melbourne.